Nearly 140 years ago brothers Giacomo and Battista Monico opened a side-street cafe in London’s West End. While the majority of their neighbours were demolished in 1885 to make way for the construction of Shaftesbury Avenue, the brothers expanded their premises and thrived for another generation before the site finally succumbed to the expansion of Piccadilly Circus in the 1950s.
Today Soho House, in collaboration with chef Rowley Leigh, has resurrected Cafe Monico right around the corner, complete with vintage décor and a central bar. Inspired by the original Cafe Monico, established nearby in 1877, the restaurant offers shellfish, pastas, grilled meats and fish in a traditional brasserie setting. The drinks menu features classic cocktails, traditional aperitifs and a large selection of vermouths.