ON SATURDAY, near the end of a three-and-a-half hour follow-up salon appointment, my stylist’s next client arrived, an half an hour early. An older blond English woman, after sharing hellos and niceties with us, she was content to busy herself with her phone, that is, until through the mirror, I caught her curiously appraising me. “Where are you going tonight?” she asked. Before I could answer, she spoke to our stylist, “Does she have a man?” “Yes, she’s got a lovely man”, the stylist answered quickly. The woman, undeterred, replied, “I’m looking for a wife for my son.” I felt oddly flattered that I fit the criteria. She seemed fussy and I felt chosen. “He’s very rich and very handsome. He’s 36, but he looks 26. He was ID’ed twice today”, she continued. She then proceeded to pull up a photo on her phone, passing it to our stylist to show me. It was one of those photos taken at a wedding, he, clearly a groomsman, wore a smart black suit with a boutonnière pinned to his lapel. “Oh, he is handsome”, I said politely. The woman smiled proudly. The stylist then whispered to me, “Oh. His name is John and he’s a nice fellow and he’ll have no idea what his mother is getting up to”. I found the whole thing hilarious. After my hair was finished, I said good-bye to the stylist, and in a sing-song voice filled with mischief, said to the woman, “Say hello to your son!”
This week’s links include the ideal British retreat, and a luxury train ride through South East Asia; a recipe for Rhubarb & Ginger Sundaes, cotton utility jackets for spring days, and much, much more.
P.S. past weekend links
This Week's Links
• Unpacked: the ideal British beach retreat at Seaside Boarding House
• Double Denim: this Midi Dress & this Jacket
• What it’s like to take a luxury train ride through South East Asia
• For the weekend: this Cotton Utility Jacket & these 90s Pinch high-rise straight-leg jeans
• On the Market: Modernist Barcelona apartment lists for €1.8m
• Spring Things: this Relaxed Pink Linen Blazer and
• Recipe: Rhubarb & Ginger Sundaes From Escape To The Chateau
• Perfect Pairs: this Cutout-Waist Midi Shirt Dress and these Patent-Leather Sandals
• Social media used to be free. Not anymore.
• With my new blonder highlights, this is the only shampoo that keeps the tone perfect
And A Few Things You May Have Missed
News 17.03.23: Five Essential Articles from Around the Web
Décor Inspiration: On Minimalism & Neutrals
Talking Points No.03: What Exactly is ChatGPT?
Décor Inspiration: British Interior Designer Luke Edward Hall
News 15.03.23: Five Essential Articles from Around the Web
A Trench Coat for Spring, White Chocolate Minimalism, Vintage Cakes & more
Sunday Best Vol. 01 | No. 09: Driven to Distraction
News 13.03.23: Five Essential Articles from Around the Web