inspiration & news

In the News 22.05.15 : Today’s Articles of Interest from around the Internets


In the News 22.05.15 : Today’s Articles of Interest from around the Internets



1. How to Build a Brand People Can’t Resist

“A serial CEO of both tech and consumer-product companies (he led two outdoor-adventure-gear makers and sold the online community Webchat to Disney), Winthrop knew all too well that, under the typical brick-and-mortar-retail business model, as much as 80 percent of a product’s cost was tied up in real estate, distribution, and marketing. ‘You spend your whole career looking at 20 percent of the cost, and you just can’t touch the other 80 percent,’ he says. Chrome was spending so much on distribution and marketing that it had no choice but to ‘chip away at quality, at the value system of the brand, to pay for a lot of shit customers didn’t care about,’ he says. ‘It was just crazy!’”

Read the rest of this article at Inc.





2. How the Biggest Fabricator in Science Got Caught

“In the language of science, calling results ‘incredibly nice’ is not a compliment—it’s tantamount to accusing a researcher of being cavalier, or even of fabricating findings. But rather than heed the warning, the journal, Anesthesia & Analgesia, punted. It published the letter to the editor, together with an explanation from Fujii, which asked, among other things, ‘how much evidence is required to provide adequate proof?’ In other words, ‘Don’t believe me? Tough.’ Anesthesia & Analgesia went on to publish 11 more of Fujii’s papers. One of the co-authors of the letter, Christian Apfel, then of the University of Würzburg, in Germany, went to the United States Food and Drug Administration to alert them to the issues he and his colleagues had raised. He never heard back.”

Read the rest of this article at Nautilus





3. 110 photojournalists run National Geographic’s Instagram account

“Three years ago, National Geographic started an Instagram feed. Now, it has close to 7,000 images, more than 19 million followers and recently reached its billionth like.

But guess who’s running the account? Not a social media manager, not an editor, not someone from marketing.

It’s the photojournalists — 110 of them. They each have the password. They try and give each other about an hour between posts. And they’re curating images from assignments, their lives, their travels and anything else that they choose.”

Read the rest of this article at Poynter




4. The Shazam Effect

“Shazam became available in 2002. (In the days before smartphones, users would dial a number, play the song through their phones, and then wait for Shazam to send a text with the title and artist.) Since then, it has been downloaded more than 500 million times and used to identify some 30 million songs, making it one of the most popular apps in the world. It has also helped set off a revolution in the recording industry. While most users think of Shazam as a handy tool for identifying unfamiliar songs, it offers music executives something far more valuable: an early-detection system for hits.”

Read the rest of this article at The Atlantic





5. Love or hate them, East London’s hipsters have fuelled a vast economy

“In 2009, London’s output collapsed and house prices plummeted. But its recovery was exceptionally rapid. By 2013, employment was growing at 4.4 per cent a year. House prices were more than 10 per cent above their 2007 peak, while elsewhere they were still 10 per cent below. London has been leading the UK recovery, not slowing it down. Where did this renewed vitality come from? Rather like those Kampala soap mills, the answer, McWilliams argues, is staring us in the face – and we’ll see it as soon as we shed our preconceptions.”

Read the rest of this article at NewStatesman



P.S. previous articles & more by P.F.M.



[images: Fashion and Style]