TODAY WOULD HAVE BEEN the late Yves Saint Laurent‘s 78th birthday. The Algerian-born European fashion designer who left for Paris as a teen to work for designer CHRISTIAN DIOR, would go on to launch his own fashion labels in 1966, and gain fame for his adaptations of TUXEDOS for women. Saint Laurent would become the first living designer to receive a solo exhibition in New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1983. The Designer passed away in Paris on June 1, 2008 from brain cancer. He was 72. To commemorate his life & work, here are 5 memorable quotes . . .
1. “The most beautiful clothes that can dress a woman are the arms of the man she loves. But for those who haven’t had the fortune of finding this happiness, I am there.”
- 2. “Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it.”
- 3. “Isn’t elegance forgetting what one is wearing?”
- 4. “The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion. But cosmetics are easier to buy.”
- 5. “Fashions fade, style is eternal.”